Frequently asked questions
Is any interview prep recommended?
- We encourage coming prepared for your First Officer interview. We look forward to getting to know you, your experience, and your Heart. Please visit our Careers page to receive the most current information regarding Southwest Airlines, our mission, and our values.
- We realize that there are third party services available for hire to assist you in your preparation. Southwest Airlines is not affiliated with any of these services, and unfortunately, we have found some of their information regarding our hiring process to be inaccurate, out of date, and at times, misleading. We look forward to meeting with you!
Where can I find instructions on creating a Pilot Credentials profile?
Do I have to apply to every application window?
- You should apply every time an application window opens on Careers.SouthwestAir.com to be considered for an interview.
How often should I update my Pilot Credentials profile?
- We recommend updating your profile once a month, and definitely every time you apply during an application window.
Where are the Southwest Airlines Flight Operations Domiciles?
- Southwest domiciles—also referred to as bases—are where a Pilot’s trip begins and ends. Our domicile locations include ATL, BWI, MDW, DAL, DEN, HOU, LAS, LAX, OAK, MCO, and PHX.
- Southwest Pilots bid on their domiciles. Opportunities in each city are based on demand, and this process takes into account seniority.
I'm interested in becoming a pilot. Where do I start?
- There are a variety of approaches to becoming a pilot.
- On a compass rose, 225° is the southwest heading, and Destination 225° was developed to lead aspiring pilots to Southwest Airlines. The Southwest Airlines Destination 225° Program includes various pathways to provide the opportunity to get you to the right seat of a Southwest aircraft. Set your course for 225°.